Nice GUI

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM

This is a nice interface. Is there any chance to have more improvements?

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Hi,

Thanks!

What sort of improvements did you have in mind?

Cheers,

sw3103

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Hello,

I was thinking an option to call vmware-vmrc.exe. It would be like vmrun/vmrc in the same place.

Is is possible to retrieve Virtual Machine Name insted Virtual Machine Configuration File as Guest Name?

Maybe retrieve notes too.

Cheers!

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Interestingly enough (or maybe not!), the idea for vmrunGUI was based on another tool I wrote for personal use that revolved around the vmware-vmrc.exe utility.

What extra functionality would adding vmware-vmrc.exe add to vmrunGUI? Is it only VMware Server that supports vmware-vmrc.exe?

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM

vmware-vmrc works with ESXi, but I have never tried. I just use it with Server.

With vmware-vmrc in vmrumGUI we could start and then open it with vmrc in the same interface. No more password typing or browser to open a VM.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 8:43 AM

OK, I'll look at including this in the next release to allow immediate access to the console for ESX/ESXi and Server.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Great!

And how about: "Is is possible to retrieve Virtual Machine Name insted Virtual Machine Configuration File as Guest Name?"

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I originally wanted to do this, but couldn't find a way using vmrun, so had to shelve the idea.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM
Edited Apr 6, 2011 at 8:11 PM

If it is impossible to retrieve Virtual Machine Name it would be great to have some alternatives. If we use

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware VIX>vmrun -T server -h https://192.168.44.209:8333/sdk -u xxx -p xxx listRegisteredVM
Total registered VMs: 15
[ha-datacenter/standard] Oi/Oi4/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[ha-datacenter/standard] Oi/Oi5/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[ha-datacenter/standard] RGE/Migr Intermed/winxppro.vmx
[ha-datacenter/standard] RGE/RGE-Dev/RGE - InService 8.0.4.vmx

Guest name could be:

[full name][ha-datacenter/standard] Oi/Oi4/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[basic name]Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[folder + basic name]Oi/Oi4/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[last folder + basic name]Oi4/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[folder name]Oi/Oi4
[last folder]Oi4

This way we could just rename virtual machine folder and solve this problem in a different way :)

What do you think?

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I agree that the name discovery logic could be better. I'll look at some of these options when I get time to release a new version.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Great!

Let me know if you need some help or if you have some news about this project :)

May 10, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Hi there! Any news?

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Yes, my wife gave birth to our second child three weeks ago, so as much as I am committed to this project, I have more important things on right now.

You will be the first to know when a new version is available.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Hi ulissao,

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this. I am in the process of redesigning my lab at home so that I will have a dedicated ESXi 4 server to play with, so once this is done I can look at adding these enhancements.

Thanks

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to ask how to download the source code, it is not available on the source code section.

Thanks