This project is read-only.

Nice GUI

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM

This is a nice interface. Is there any chance to have more improvements?

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Hi,

Thanks!

What sort of improvements did you have in mind?

Cheers,

sw3103

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Hello,

I was thinking an option to call vmware-vmrc.exe. It would be like vmrun/vmrc in the same place.

Is is possible to retrieve Virtual Machine Name insted Virtual Machine Configuration File as Guest Name?

Maybe retrieve notes too.

Cheers!

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Interestingly enough (or maybe not!), the idea for vmrunGUI was based on another tool I wrote for personal use that revolved around the vmware-vmrc.exe utility.

What extra functionality would adding vmware-vmrc.exe add to vmrunGUI? Is it only VMware Server that supports vmware-vmrc.exe?

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:04 PM

vmware-vmrc works with ESXi, but I have never tried. I just use it with Server.

With vmware-vmrc in vmrumGUI we could start and then open it with vmrc in the same interface. No more password typing or browser to open a VM.

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM

OK, I'll look at including this in the next release to allow immediate access to the console for ESX/ESXi and Server.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Great!

And how about: "Is is possible to retrieve Virtual Machine Name insted Virtual Machine Configuration File as Guest Name?"

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I originally wanted to do this, but couldn't find a way using vmrun, so had to shelve the idea.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Edited Apr 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM

If it is impossible to retrieve Virtual Machine Name it would be great to have some alternatives. If we use

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware VIX>vmrun -T server -h https://192.168.44.209:8333/sdk -u xxx -p xxx listRegisteredVM
Total registered VMs: 15
[ha-datacenter/standard] Oi/Oi4/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[ha-datacenter/standard] Oi/Oi5/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[ha-datacenter/standard] RGE/Migr Intermed/winxppro.vmx
[ha-datacenter/standard] RGE/RGE-Dev/RGE - InService 8.0.4.vmx

Guest name could be:

[full name][ha-datacenter/standard] Oi/Oi4/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[basic name]Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[folder + basic name]Oi/Oi4/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[last folder + basic name]Oi4/Clone of BRT - Geoplex.vmx
[folder name]Oi/Oi4
[last folder]Oi4

This way we could just rename virtual machine folder and solve this problem in a different way :)

What do you think?

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I agree that the name discovery logic could be better. I'll look at some of these options when I get time to release a new version.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Great!

Let me know if you need some help or if you have some news about this project :)

May 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Hi there! Any news?

May 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Yes, my wife gave birth to our second child three weeks ago, so as much as I am committed to this project, I have more important things on right now.

You will be the first to know when a new version is available.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Hi ulissao,

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this. I am in the process of redesigning my lab at home so that I will have a dedicated ESXi 4 server to play with, so once this is done I can look at adding these enhancements.

Thanks

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to ask how to download the source code, it is not available on the source code section.

Thanks